Vice President of Engineering (Machine Learning)
Iprova is a pioneering and fast-growing technology start-up with offices in Lausanne, Switzerland, and London. We are working with some of the world’s best-known technology companies in North America, Europe and Japan to develop advanced AI-based algorithms that enable the products and services of tomorrow to be invented faster and more disruptively than ever before.
Every day we create inventions that help our customers to define new products and value-creating services in areas such as autonomous vehicles, healthcare and communications. Hundreds of patents have been filed by our customers on our inventions, and granted patents based on our inventions are cited by companies including Microsoft, Google and Amazon.
We are seeking a VP of Engineering (ML) to work with our talented team of researchers and software developers. The successful candidate will be responsible for the development of our data-driven invention platform.
We’re looking for applicants who have a strong background in software development and who can demonstrate success in leading teams of software researchers and developers in building and scaling AI based products. Expertise in the use of advanced machine learning in tasks related to Natural Language Processing is required, and skills in deep learning, graph theory, data mining and automated knowledge extraction will be helpful.
This is a technically challenging, hands-on and entrepreneurial role that will give you the opportunity to work in an exciting, high-energy, creative and very fast-moving start-up environment, while also allowing you to work alongside some of the world’s best-known technology companies. We offer exceptionally competitive packages and a fun-yet-focused working environment.
• Join the Iprova management team, taking responsibility for the delivery of key engineering-based objectives.
• Lead our research and development team to realise the company’s software development objectives – and participate in the research and development itself. This is a hands-on role.
• Help to define Iprova’s technology roadmap, and work with other team members to evolve our technology architecture and underlying invention logic.
• Use your skills to meet our technology objectives. This will include determining the problem scope, evaluating various solutions with our team and further development of the optimum solution.
• Incorporate new fundamental research ideas into our development, extending the state-of-the-art – where needed – to meet our technology and product objectives.
• Work with our researchers and software engineers to design and run experiments. This will include leading the design and evaluation of new algorithms, as well as implementing known algorithms.
• Represent Iprova at events and act as an advocate for the company.
• Assist in growing the research engineering team, and nurture the skills of others in the company.
• Take the lead in maintaining and developing our invention engineering culture, practices and processes.
• Graduate degree in computer science, mathematics, electronic engineering, machine learning or equivalent.
• 5 years+ experience in software engineering and software scalability.
• Experience with different databases (CAP tradeoffs) and search engines (Solr, Lucene, etc.).
• Programming experience in a variety of languages and development environments including Python and Java and/or C++.
• 2 years+ commercial experience in Natural Language Processing (NLP) and machine learning (ML).
• Proven software engineering leadership and/or management experience.
• Proven software engineering leadership and/or management experience at an AI centric company or start-up recognised for its technology.
• 2 years+ of experience in scaling NLP/ML products.
• Expertise in information retrieval, automated knowledge extraction and/or deep learning.
• Experience with cloud computing.
Please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com.
On you cover letter, please outline your interest in the position, and why you feel you will be suitable, including your answers to the following questions:
Q1. Please describe your experience in software engineering and software scalability
Q2. Please list relevant ML / NLP projects you have done up to now.
Q3. Please select one project listed above and give a more detailed description on it.
Please note: During periods where we receive very high numbers of applications, we will only reply to those we wish to advance.